The time has flown by since my last post! I’m currently 32 weeks pregnant, but these pictures were taken last month at 29 weeks. At the time I thought my belly couldn’t have gotten any bigger, but now looking back, I realize how much I’ve grown since then. Let’s just say I no longer wake up in the morning and forget that there’s a baby inside my stomach. ;)
So September was a pretty busy month for us. It always starts out kind of busy – we both celebrate our birthdays that first week of September, and then of course football season keeps us busy watching games on the weekend. ;) But this year, we were also lucky to have so many friends, family, and co-workers who wanted to throw us a baby shower – that we ended up having 3 showers in row those last weeks of September. They were all so special to us, and made the whole experience feel a lot more REAL. Not to mention, having so many events lined up helped us forget about all this waiting around for the due date. ;)
I knew I wanted to make at least one of my shower dresses, and the Sewaholic Saltspring dress was a logical go-to pattern for the occasion. It’s loose and flow-y, and didn’t take too much thinking in terms of changing up the pattern to fit my growing bump. I ended up wearing this dress to my office baby shower, and styled it with a navy cardigan and thin braided belt (not pictured).
Here are the details about this dress:
Changes / Alterations:
- I cut a size 10 bodice, and size 16 skirt in order to allow for plenty of ease around the belly.
- I shortened the bodice pieces (4″ off of bodice, and 3″ off of bodice lining) in order to create less of a “blousing effect” on the top. I’ve come to realize with maternity wear, I prefer for at least part of the outfit to be more fitted in order to show off the bump (and also because I want people to know that I’m pregnant, and not simply choosing to dress in a tent for 9 months). :P
- In addition to shortening the bodice for less blousing, I raised the waistline another 3″.
- Lowered armholes by 1/2″.
- Swayback adjustment on skirt back by 3/8″.
Tutorials Used: I followed along with all the posts from the Saltspring Sewalong. Even though I probably could have survived without them, I just love how these Sewalong posts take the mystery out of any steps that may seem vague in the pattern instructions (in this case, inserting the elastic or sewing in the zipper). I still consider myself to be a beginner sewist, and would definitely recommend anyone else who is new to garment sewing to check out the other Sewalongs that are available on Tasia’s website. I live in sort of a remote area of Texas, and there aren’t many places around town that offer classes on specific sewing patterns (like classes I’ve seen offered in LA, Nashville, Austin, etc.). I consider these Sewalongs to be the next best thing to having a teacher at my side, walking me through step-by-step of a pattern.
I also used Tasia’s tutorial on a hand-picked zipper, which I’ve written about and used before, but I always like to have it open each time I sew one in, just in case I forget anything. :)
Overall Thoughts: Overall, I think this dress was perfect for the occasion! I felt both beautiful and comfortable wearing the dress, which I think is the goal for any momma-to-be when getting dressed in the morning. :)
I was afraid the fabric might be a little see-through in the skirt, but because it’s gathered it really wasn’t a problem at all (although I would recommend wearing nude-colored underthings if you make anything with this fabric – you can see the dark dress form is showing through in the picture above).
If I had to pick, the only thing about this pattern that I’m not crazy about would be the tie straps. It was nice not having to worry about the strap length before sewing them into the bodice pieces – but, trying to make the straps even while making a pretty bow in the back was a little annoying, and it took me several tries to make sure the dress was hanging evenly from both of my shoulders.
Also, if I make this dress again, I might opt for sewing in a regular zipper, rather than using the hand-picked method. You might be able to see in the photo below, but the elastic sort of pulls at the hand-sewing right at the waist, and I think that machine stitches would have been stronger and held the bodice pieces in place a little better right at the elastic.
In the end, I think this is the perfect special occasion dress, if you can find the right fabric. I actually made another version previous to this dress that turned out not-so-good, only because it was too heavy. I made it out of a lightweight linen / cotton chambray, which I thought would be light enough, but the maxi skirt was so heavy that it pulled the elastic waist down too much and just ended up looking really bulky. So for those of you who are considering making this dress – follow the fabric recommendations closely and only use a very light fabric (lesson learned – I need to pay more close attention to those recommendations myself – they are there for a reason!).