I just finished the second semester of my masters this week, and can’t believe the school year has gone by so fast!! I still have a ways to go, but it’s nice to know that I’ve completed a big chunk of it so far.
Anyway, I was looking at my degree plan last week, and realized – I’m not going to graduate until after I turn thirty. When I think about graduating in a couple of years, it doesn’t seem like that far off, but when I think about it in terms of age, it makes me feel different. Not in a bad way. It just makes me think about how quickly time flies. I mean.. I feel like I just graduated from Alabama a couple of years ago, but really, that was five years ago! Whoa.
So, in the spirit of thinking about time and how quickly it passes, I decided to make a list of things that I want to accomplish before I turn 30. Several of these things are sewing related, and I think the time frame will give me motivation to tackle (what seems like) some pretty lofty skills. And others are life things that I occasionally say to myself, “I really want to _____ someday.” Well, there’s no better time than the present, and writing these things out in list format will keep me accountable.
So here goes!
My ’30 Before 30′:
- Make a knit dress.
- Make a knit t-shirt (and get rid of my drab Target t-shirts!).
- Make a pair of pants.
- Make a pair of shorts.
- Make 2 more quilts for our bed.
- Make a winter jacket / coat.
- Make a stuffed animal.
- Make a dress from a vintage pattern (original vintage or vintage reprint).
- Go on our honeymoon.
- Hire a professional photographer to take our anniversary photos.
- Write in a diary 3 days a week.
- Go to the beach with Jose (and drink a piña colada before lunch). :)
- Visit Austin, TX (and eat at a food truck).
- Take one Instagram every day for a year.
- Grow 3 container plants.
- Take a beautiful family portrait (with the dogs).
- Give (mostly) handmade gifts for Christmas 2013.
- Grow out my highlights!!
- “Learn” to play the violin again.
- Improve my photography skills by taking a class and practice.
- Clean out the garage and closets of stuff we don’t use.
- Reduce family consumption. Think long and hard about big purchases.
- Visit Marfa, TX.
- Read my old copies of magazines, and recycle those I don’t want to keep.
- Go on a mother-daughter vacation with my Mom.
- Open up an Etsy shop and sell the sewing supplies I don’t use.
- Purchase a nice sofa and ottoman that we’ll love forever.
- Reupholster both chairs in the living room.
- Take a picture in a field of blue bonnets.
- Monetize my blog.
I don’t by any means consider this an end-all-be-all of lists. I’m actually really looking forward to turning 30, and am very happy with what my 20’s taught me. I feel more content with my life than ever before, and I think that it’s due to the (many) lessons I’ve learned along the way, particularly throughout my high school and college years. :) I actually think it would be fun to do this before each of my milestone birthdays. Once I complete this list, I’ll be excited to create another for my 30’s!
You can keep track of my progress on the ’30 before 30′ tab I’ve created at the top of the site. There I will keep the master list, and along the way I’ll post about each item as I check it off (which I’ll link back up in the master list).
By the way, for those of you who aren’t related to me, I will turn 30 on September 7, 2014 – which gives me almost a year and a half to work on the list. I think it’s pretty do-able.
Top photo of me and my Mom at my 4th birthday party. I’m wearing a pink jumper with cows on it. This is one of my favorite outfits that Mom made for me when I was a little girl. :P
Bottom photo of me studying for finals last semester.